If you’re choosing skylights for the first time, it can be challenging. Especially since there are so many options to consider. How do you choose the right model, style and size for your space?
For many home or business owners, the goal is to choose skylights that convert a dark and gloomy space into a well-lit area and also reduce your energy bill. Additionally, homeowners want a cost-effective installation option.
How Does a Skylight Work?
Before choosing the best option for your space, it’s essential to understand how a skylight works.
- A weatherproof collector on the roof absorbs daylight
- This light is then channeled into your space through a reflective metal tubing
- A specialised lens diffuses the harvested sunlight
- This sunlight is then spread through the room as a pure white glow
- A dark room where an artificial light seems impractical, is instantly lit up
A Few Tips for Choosing the Best Skylight
Fortunately, our experts are skilled in a wide variety of different skylight options. That means they can easily advise you on the criteria to consider when you’re choosing your skylight. Keep reading as they share the top factors to consider.
The top factor to consider is the durability of the skylight product you’re considering. Pointers that will ensure you select the best skylight for your space include the following:
- The climate in your area
- Where is your home located?
- Is your home exposed to heavy rain, hurricanes or even snowstorms?
Taking factors such as the weather into consideration will ensure that you opt for products that are specifically designed to function in those conditions.
While skylights look considerably standard, it’s important to remember that installation depends on the structure and type of roof. In most instances, these two factors will determine the time and use of ease for installation.
The good news is that if your home doesn’t require any major ceiling or wall alterations, our experts will have your skylights installed in a couple of hours. Our team knows how to fit the skylight between your existing components. Speak with the national dealer network on 13 16 19 or type in your postcode to this link to find the local dealer in your area.
Short-Term Costs and Long-Term Savings
If you’ve been researching potential skylight options, you’ve seen that prices can vary extensively. Skylights costs don’t only include the upfront product and potential installation costs but also the ongoing maintenance costs. The potential skylight cost you’re looking at may also include insulation. So, take all of this into consideration when you budget.
However, remember that you’ll save money in the long run, which can make up for the capital investment now. For example, with much more natural light entering your rooms, you’ll be less reliant on artificial lights, so your utility expenses may drop. With Solatube’s Solar Electric Night Light you can even have some light at night, powered by the sun’s energy collected during the day.
Furthermore, calculate savings for using your HVAC system less than before. This is thanks to a quality skylight, such as a Solatube system, that can help regulate interior temperatures in both summer and winter.
This proves the value of installing a high-end skylight system.
Skylights, come with a host of accessories that make them work better. If you’re new to the sky lighting experience, you might be wondering what accessories you’d benefit from in terms of a simple skylight.
Some of the accessories you can consider include:
- Ventilation add-on kit: It’s no secret that bathrooms, laundry rooms and kitchens require adequate ventilation to prevent mould from building up in the walls. With the skylight products from Solatube, you’ll easily be able to integrate a ventilation add-on kit into your skylight system. Aside from light, you’ll be getting some proper ventilation for the space.
- Daylight dimmer: If you’re concerned that your skylight may be letting in a little too much light in your bedroom or living room, you can ask our experts to attach a daylight dimmer. This integration will enable you to dim the light level with the simple use of a remote control.
- LED NightLight: On the flip side, if you want more light in your space, you can opt for an Integrated LED NightLight combined with the light add-on kit. This provides the required amount of nighttime lighting.
These are only the primary considerations to take into account when you’re shopping for a skylight. For a more comprehensive guide to choosing the perfect skylight, we urge you to read our room selection guide.
Choosing The Best Skylight Option
The good news is that we don’t expect you to choose the best option for your space. While it’s essential to understand what you need, our skilled experts will assess your home or office space and make recommendations. It’s as simple as giving us a call on 13 16 19 and requesting a QUOTE.
Our experts will also advise you on the best accessories that will enhance the effect skylights will have on your space. Whether you want one small skylight in your bathroom, or a few strategically placed throughout the house, we have the solution for you. Call us today to discuss potential options.