Selling your home has changed.
Long gone are the days where your Real Estate agent can just offer up some freshly baked muffins to entice buyers into your home.
With the property market on its way up every day, now is the time to stop and think;
“Is my house ready to be on the Market?”
Buyers want to be sure they’re buying a home that’s going to at least maintain its market value, if not appreciate over the coming years. The top three factors buyers look for are Price, Condition and Location.
Preparation and Planning is the key to selling your home fast and earning top dollar. By doing some careful planning and knowing how to professionally spruce up your home you will have buyers jumping at the opportunity to buy your house.
People collect an amazing amount of junk. Consider this: if you haven’t used it in over a year, you probably don’t need it.
If you don’t need it, why not donate it or throw it away?
- Remove all books from bookcases.
- Pack up those knick-knacks.
- Clean off everything on kitchen counters.
- Put essential items used daily in a small box that can be stored in a closet when not in use.
- Think of this process as a head-start on the packing you will eventually need to do anyway.
2. Make Repairs around your home
Have a look around your house at those areas that you think buyers are going to criticise. Don’t give buyers any reason to remember your home as “the house with the dark dingy bathroom”.
- Replace cracked floor or counter tiles.
- Patch holes in walls.
- Fix leaky taps.
- Fix doors that don’t close properly and kitchen drawers that jam.
- Consider painting your walls neutral colours, especially if you have grown accustomed to purple or pink walls.
- Replace burned-out light bulbs.
3. Make the House Sparkle!
When selling your home, it should be the cleanest it’s ever been. That means getting in there and doing all those chores you hate (but your return on investment will be worth it)!
- Wash windows inside and out.
- Rent a pressure washer and spray down sidewalks and exterior.
- Clean out cobwebs.
- Wax floors.
- Dust furniture, ceiling fan blades and light fixtures.
- Bleach dingy grout.
- Replace worn rugs.
- Hang up fresh towels.
4. Brighten your home!
Having a bright and inviting home with natural light makes a world of different to a potential buyer. Download our 12 Quick and Easy Tips to Brighten Any Dark Room and you will be on your way to that bright home you have always wanted.
A few quick tips include:
- Opening all of the curtains and letting the natural light in.
- Neutral paint colours can also make the room feel brighter.
- Remove clutter and let the light travel better through the space
- Or, of course, you could install a Solatube daylighting system!
There we have it, 4 must do’s for successfully selling your home.
Have we missed anything? Let us know!