Proper ventilation is one of the crucial aspects needed to maintain a healthy home environment. With that in mind, how can you go about ensuring your home has the best ventilation system?
Many Australian homeowners rely on roof ventilation systems to enhance the natural ventilation they get from windows and doors. This post explains the reasons your home needs proper ventilation and what Australian law defines as adequate ventilation.
Why Do Houses Need Proper Ventilation?
Have you walked into a room in your home and immediately opened a window because the air felt “stuffy”? That’s because there is either no or little airflow in the space. Simply put, ventilation is the movement of air in and out of a space.
All residential and commercial buildings are required by law to be able to maintain healthy indoor air quality and get rid of airborne pathogens that could cause harm. Here is a list of some of the airborne pathogens found in the average Australian home:
- Carbon monoxide, sulphur dioxide and nitrogen oxide are created by cooking and heating your home
- Certain types of furniture finishes, carpets and building materials give off volatile organic compounds (VOCs) (such as paint smells)
- Household chemical cleaners release airborne toxins which can be inhaled
- Dust, dust mites, pollen
- Bacteria developing a mould in moisture-prone areas such as the bathroom, laundry or kitchen
- Fumes expelled from toxins used in hobby materials such as craft paint and glue
- Pathogens from cigarette smoke
With a list as extensive as that, it’s easy to see how the air quality in your home can easily become compromised. Ventilation is necessary to circulate the stale air out and fresher air in.
What is Considered Adequate Ventilation for a House?
According to the Building Code of Australia (BCA), all buildings should comply with the 5% Ventilation Requirement. It states that ‘for the purpose of ventilation, at least 5% of the floor space should be dedicated to an openable window or similar aperture in that specific area.’
The average Australian newly built house in 2019-2020 has increased to 235.8 square meters. Usually, it’s made up of three or four bedrooms, a kitchen, a bathroom, a living room and in some cases a separate dining room. For these types of houses, the average window requirement ranges between 10 and 12.
Essentially that means that each room in the house will have a minimum of one double window. The average window size in Australia is 24” to 48” for a double and single-hung window. Generally, windows are required to be at least 865 mm above the floor. Despite this, many homes don’t always receive the ventilation needed to create the healthiest environment. The good news is that Solatube can fix that!
Top Reasons Why Your Home Will Benefit from Roof Ventilation
Windows may not always supply the ventilation you need to keep the air in your home optimally healthy. Furthermore, if your home is locked up all day while you’re at work, there will be even less air circulation going on. That’s why it’s an innovative idea to invest in our Solar Roof Vents.
The impressive Solar Star units work when a high-efficiency fan unit is powered by solar panels. This setup gives you all the benefits of a powerful roof fan without the additional operating costs, such as utility expenses.
Here are some features you’ll get from our solar roof vents:
- Provides a more comfortable interior temperature by circulating the stifling air out faster
- Keeps roof cavities and materials from deteriorating
- Roof vents pull heat from the roof cavity and structure of your home
- Removes mould and moisture that accumulates in bathrooms and kitchens
- Continued airflow prevents leaks and structural decay on your roof
- Removes excess humidity from showers, dishwashers and humidifiers
- Our roof ventilation system works efficiently even on cloudy days, ensuring that your home’s air is always clean and fresh
- Effective for rooms and hallways that don’t have windows—ideal for providing the necessary air circulation in laundry rooms
- Solar roof vents are easy to install and don’t require any wiring
- Customised to your roof style and essentially only involves a seamless one-piece flashing
- The leak-proof feature ensures that it’s safe to use in high-rainfall areas
- Durable with a 5-year warranty on all parts
Get the Best Roof Ventilation for Your Home
Installing one of our roof ventilation systems is the perfect way to ensure that your home gets the maximum air circulation. This will not only protect the structure of your home but will also ensure that your family members aren’t exposed to any unhealthy toxins while at home.
Simply call us on 13 16 19 for a fast and easy QUOTE. Our skilled experts are looking forward to creating a healthier home environment for you!