Aussie households under attack!

Humid, wet weather triggers mould outbreaks

Mold or Mould Stains on Damp Wall and Door behind Cabinet due to condensation caused by lack of ventilation.

Wardrobes, floors, ceilings and walls around the country are under attack – and the furry
culprit, mould, could be harming our health, not to mention our homes. Natural lighting and
ventilation specialist, Solatube is urging householders to “break the mould” and tackle the
issue head on with “air and light”.

“This summer’s prolonged hot and humid weather in many parts of the country, not to
mention the recent heavy rains, have created the perfect conditions to trigger mould growth
in homes,” says Solatube’s Brett Dickson. “While the current conditions can accelerate this,
mould can actually grow at any time of the year indoors when there is poor ventilation,
rising damp or a water leak.

“All types of mould have the potential to cause health problems; according to the NSW
Department of Health, the key to preventing its growth is to maintain a dry, well-ventilated
home.”

Solatube has created a solar-powered roof ventilation solution, Solar Star, which is
substantially different to a wind vent. It’s designed to create a cooler, drier home by
removing heat and moisture from the roof cavity without adding to your energy bill or
compromising your safety and security.

“More energy efficient homes, with less temperature fluctuations and better quality
insulation, are likely to have less mould incidents,” explains Dickson. “You may be running
your fans, dehumidifier and air-conditioning unit to cool and dry your home to reduce mould
growth, but heat and moisture continues to come down from your ceiling, which hinders
your efforts and costs you money.”

The damaging effects of mould on our health and homes
Mould can cause health problems when its microscopic airborne spores are inhaled by
anyone sensitive or allergic to them. NSW Health warns that people with asthma, allergies or
other breathing conditions may be more sensitive to mould and those with weakened
immune systems or chronic lung diseases are more at risk of mould infection. Allergic
reactions to mould can include a running or blocked nose, coughing, irritated eyes and skin,
and wheezing, and for anyone with a respiratory problem such as asthma, inhaled spores
can trigger an asthma attack*.

In addition to health problems, mould, which often appears as a black, green and white
patch, is unsightly, can give off an unpleasant musty odour and is often costly and difficult to
remove. Vinegar, mild soap and bleach can effectively kill mould, however as mould roots
can penetrate absorbent materials, carpets, soft furnishings, and clothing often require
professional cleaning or to be thrown out.

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/environment/factsheets/pages/mould.aspx

About Solatube
Australian owned and operated, Solatube is the pioneer of tubular daylighting systems and is now a
leading manufacturer of tubular skylights, LED lighting and roof ventilation systems. Solatube’s
tubular skylights are high-performance daylighting systems using advanced optical technologies to
capture daylight and deliver it to interior spaces without natural light. For over 25 years, Solatube’s
skylights have helped create brighter, healthier and more energy efficient homes and commercial
environments.
Solatube’s Smart LED lighting system for its tubular skylights provides a fully automated and highly
efficient 24-hour lighting solution. And Solatube’s Solar Star solar powered roof ventilation system is
one of the most effective and powerful on the market.