When it comes to integrating daylighting technology into an education environment, the benefits are compelling.
The strategic use of daylight in classrooms has been found to:
- Enhance productivity in the classroom
- Improve mood levels
- Increase psychological well-being
- Reduce absenteeism
- Decrease operating costs of the school
- Lower rates of asthma, flu, and headaches among students
How do we know this?
The Heschong Mahone Daylighting Study tested more than 21,000 students and found a dramatic correlation between daylit school environments and student performance.
- 20% faster progression in maths
- 26% faster progression in reading and
- Up to 10% increase in general academic performance
All of this achieved, simply through the introduction of daylight into the classroom.
The Green Building Council of Australia’s Green Schools report outlines the benefits of daylighting in green schools, and shares the practical experience of ministers, education departments, principals and teachers in embracing the Green Star – Education rating tool.
Solatube Daylighting Systems comply with the latest Government regulations for green building and can help a project to attain points towards Green Star certification.
What can Solatube offer?
Solatube’s patented technology allows you to achieve standards in Education facilities that competitors simply can’t meet.
- Controllable light levels: A Solatube Daylighting System is fully controllable with dimming capabilities that allow the level of natural lighting to be adjusted on demand from 100 percent down to 2 percent to accommodate activities such as watching movies or presentations.
- Purpose Designed: Solatube daylighting systems restrict whiteboard glare as they are fitted with specially designed diffusers.
- Guaranteed Performance: Solatube daylighting devices come with a 10-year ‘no leak’ guarantee.
- Building Code Compliance: Solatube daylight devices are compliant with Section J of the Australian building code. Thermal performance is optimised by restricting heat from entering the classroom, and at the same time, restricting heat from escaping the classroom.
- Energy Saving: Energy costs can be significantly cut by reducing or eliminating the need for electric lighting during school (daylight) hours.
What is our track record in Education?
Many educational institutions across Australia and throughout the world are benefiting from daylighting classrooms with the installation of our products. Our case studies demonstrate how Solatube® Daylighting Systems have helped cut energy costs, reduced school’s carbon footprint and improved the working environment for staff and pupils.