With the shorter days of winter upon us, we often find ourselves thinking of ways to extend what little daylight we receive. Dark corners of the home can remain that way until the return of spring, but there is another way to transform dark rooms in natural-light filled spaces. Skylights can be a simple and highly effective way of drawing all the natural daylight you need into your home.
Of course, all skylights aren't created equal. For instance, while traditional skylights may be the most familiar type of skylight, their design makes them fairly inefficient when it comes to providing adequate light for a long period of time. In fact, depending on how they're angled on your roof, a flat-panel skylight may only provide light for a few hours a day, and even then the light will be highly variable depending on the position of the sun in the sky. Plus, because of their size and shape, they can only be installed on certain types of roof styles and in specific areas in order to ensure adequate support and avoid leaks. Tubular daylighting systems like Solatube were developed specifically to avoid all those issues by implementing a unique design aimed at capturing as much sunlight as possible, no matter where the sun is located throughout the day.
The Raybender 3000 technology incorporated into Solatube’s Daylighting System absorbs daylight into the tube and directs it down into your home. The Spectralight Infinity tubing used in the TDD system is the most reflective surface known to man. It helps the light ‘bounce’ down the tube, retaining 99.7% of entering light, before being directed to the area below. When it reaches room height, a diffuser assists in delivering an even spread of light to the room below.
Wondering if a Solatube daylighting system is right for your home and lifestyle? Here are five benefits to consider:
- Solatube provides superior lighting, even for very dark areas like basements and windowless rooms. Thanks to its Raybender 3000 technology and Spectralight Infinity tubing, a Solatube skylight provides far more light than a traditional skylight and even exceeds other tubular designs.
- Solatube dome technology nearly doubles the Effective Daylight Capture Surface (EDCS) of those found in domes in non-Solatube products.
- Solatube daylighting product and installation costs are far less than other passive lighting solutions like windows and traditional skylights, making them a budget-friendly option for today's homeowners.
- Its slim design means the Solatube is easy to install, and it can be installed on just about any type of roof, regardless of the slope or orientation toward the sun. Professional installation takes under two hours in most cases, or you can install it yourself in under a day.
- It's eco-friendly – no electricity means no fossil fuels are being burned. Solatube is completely passive, so you can save the environment while you save money on your lighting bills.
- It's healthy – no, really! Studies have shown exposure to natural light can help boost mood and even stimulate the immune system for better mental and physical health.
And there's another reason: Solatube is dedicated to customer service, providing the highest levels of support for as long as you own your Solatube product, and they even back it with an industry-leading warranty for added peace of mind. If you're looking for a skylight dealer in Melbourne click here, or contact us to request more information about a dealer near you.