In today’s increasingly electronic homes and offices, keeping energy usage low is of paramount importance, not just for balancing the budget, but also for reducing the impact of greenhouse gas emissions. Interior lighting is one of the biggest drains on our energy resources today, and learning how to reduce the amount of energy lighting requires is a critical part of protecting the environment.
Energy Usage Is on the Rise
Recent statistics from the Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts, demonstrate the real urgency for more energy-efficient lighting solutions:
- By 2020, the number of occupied homes in Australia is expected to rise to about 10 million, nearly double 1990’s total of six million occupied homes.
- Total floor space of residential homes is expected increase by 145 percent from 1990 to 2020, from 685 m2 to nearly 1682 million m2.
- During the same 30-year period, residential energy consumption is expected to grow from 299 petajoules in 1990 to 467 PJ by 2020 – a 56 percent increase.
With increased demand comes increased costs, and that means finding ways to lower energy consumption is more important than ever for budget-conscious homeowners.
Solatube LED Lighting
At Solatube, we’ve worked tirelessly to provide the most effective solutions to home and workplace lighting aimed at significantly lowering energy usage and costs. Our Smart LED Lighting System was designed to combine several elements for maximum lighting at minimal costs:
- Energy-efficient LED lighting: Featuring the most advanced LED technology, Solatube’s lights use just a tiny fraction of the energy required by CFLs while still providing plenty of bright, clear light. In fact, studies have shown LEDs use less than half of the energy required by CFLs and about a tenth of the energy used by incandescent bulbs. Plus, LEDs last more than six times as long as CFLs.
- Occupancy Sensor: This optional feature is ideal for ensuring the energy-efficient LEDs are on only when the room is occupied for additional cost savings. That’s a great option in homes where energy costs aren’t quite as important to some members of the family!
- SunSense Technology: This patented control centre monitors light levels on a continual basis to provide LED supplemental lighting only when necessary for seamless transition throughout the day and night.
And of course, when the LEDs aren’t in use, Solatube still provides plenty of light via these patented features:
- Raybender 3000: Solatube’s dome design was created to capture maximum sunlight even at low angles while reducing harsh midday sun for consistent lighting all day long.
- LightTracker Reflector and Amplifier: Featuring 16 super-reflective surfaces, or facets, the reflector and amplifier are designed to increase light capture at every angle for optimal performance in every season, even during the lower-light conditions of winter.
- Spectralight Infinity Tubing: Even the tubing has been designed for maximum reflection and light transfer, delivering pure colour rendition even in tubes over 9 metres in length.
- Easy installation: Solatube Skylights can be installed between rafters with no need to cut through joists, and the tubes are designed to provide light to lower levels as well as upper floors.
If saving the planet (not to mention saving money) sounds good to you, you can learn more about Solatube and its LED light features by exploring our website or contacting us for more information. It’s one simple step for lots of ways to save.